EN | FR

A Painful Pill or Necessary Evil? Examining the Rising Cost of Retail Medicines

medicines- Daily Times 8

Ghana’s pharmaceutical sector is heavily reliant on foreign exchange, with an estimated 70% of all products being imported whilst the remaining 30% is produced locally. With local manufacture, it is estimated that 83% of all materials are also imported, making the sector heavily sensitive to foreign exchange rate fluctuations. Another contributor to pricing in the sector is the Bank of Ghana policy rate that impacts the cost of borrowing.

Historically, there seems to be very little information available on Ghana’s pharmacy supply chain-based inflation. This, we believe is a disservice as it makes adequate planning and health investment projections unreliable.  A request was recently made by the Ghana Chamber of Pharmacy that pharmaceuticals be included in the basket of goods used by the Ghana Statistical Service to measure inflation.

 

Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
WhatsApp
Email
Print

More Publications/Updates

Related Articles

Afrobarometer

Instituted in 1999, Afrobarometer is a Pan-African, non-partisan survey research project that conducts...

CODEO

CDD-Ghana established the Coalition of Domestic Election Observers (CODEO) in the year 2000...

Corruption Watch

It seeks to promote integrity in public life by demanding and activating responsiveness and accountability ...

D&G Bootcamp

The overall goal is to promote and deepen democratic consolidation, good governance...

Freedom Project

The overall goal is to promote and deepen democratic consolidation, good governance...

I Am Aware

The I AM AWARE project is CDD-Ghana’s non-partisan citizen empowerment campaign..

WAEON

WAEON is an independent, non-partisan, and non-religious organization...

WAYLead Fellowship

The overall goal is to promote and deepen democratic consolidation, good governance...

X